Activities in Newport
Walking: There are many walking routes to suite all individual needs. The Slieve Felim Way this trail stretched from Murroe, Co Limerick to Silvermines Village, Co Tipperary a distance of 18 miles / 29 Km. The area consists of valleys and hills running east to west, starting with Slieve Felim and on to Silvermines Montains. While avoiding all the peaks, the routes provide scenic views of much of the Region and it is possible to see parts of Co Clare, Limerick, Offaly, and Tipperary from some locations on the route. You can also see sections of Lough Derg and River Shannon Basin.
The route is split into three main sections :
- Murroe to Tooreenbrien Bridge
- Tooreenbiren Bridge to Toor
- Toor to Silvermines.
The trail also bring you into Glenstal Forest, Mauher Slieve , Keeper Hill, Ciamaltha Woods, Glencullo and Knockanroe Woods. For more information www.myguideireland.com/the-slieve-felim-way
Cycling: There are cycling routes over varying distances of scenic countryside. Bikes can be hired to enjoy the Keeper Hill Cycle, 36 mile / 58km circular tour.
Golfing: Newport is the ideal base for golfing breaks. Many courses including Championship courses are only a short driving distance from Newport.
- EG. Dundrum Golf Course Distance – 15 miles / 26km
- Castletroy Golf Course Distance – 7 miles / 12km
- Portumna Golf Course Distance – 30 miles / 48km
- East Clare Golf Course Distance -18 miles / 29km
- Limerick Golf Course Distance – 12 miles / 20km
- Co Limerick Golf Course Distance – 12 miles / 20km
- Tipperary Golf Course Distance – 15 miles / 24km
- Ballykisteen Golf Resort Distance – 21 miles / 34km
- Adare Golf Resort Distance – 20 miles / 33km
For those who are not very confident on the golf course, why not pop over to Murroe, Co Limerick for a game of Pitch & Putt.
Fishing: The Shannon, Castleconnell, Co Limerick and the Mulcair are well renowned for Salmon fishing. All species of coarse fish are also available on the Shannon and Lough Derg. The Clodaig, Suir and Nenagh River are used for Brown Trout.
Cruising: Enjoy a boat trip on the Shannon – available from Killaloe/Ballina & Dromineer. For more information visit – www.shannonsailing.com
Pampering: Relax and pamper yourself in one of the Beauty Salons located in Newport and choose from a wide range of beauty therapies and treatments.
See our Local Business section for more details.